Traveltales: First day out

Start: 2017-11-14 00:01
Weather: Clear skies, +1 to -9 C
Distance: ~24 km (10 km past), mostly uphill
Time: 17+hours (7 hours due)
Highlights: Wildlife calls, Meteor shower, the air, “pink” Sunrise, snow, cold,
very friendly hostel hosts at Sikargården
Bottoms: Initial stress caused negligence in strapping the straps properly
causing a wheel splinter to snap, negligence in eating/drinking/resting, walking
further/longer than my day limit.

Health: Stomach, joints and headache –> Regular painkillers OK
Asthma OK Sight OK Feet OK
Mental health: initially 7/10 (higher=better health), end of day: 2/10
Weight: ~103kg sled total weight: ~85kg

Around midnight, I began my 1500km/1000miles journey.

All excited I pulled away fiercely towards the small trail behind my home building..

..only to walk around 50m to already stop and fix some floppy loose bindings.
Also to take some painkillers to be on safe side as the pain kept growing.
The rest of the night proceeded quite calmly with some highlights of clear skies,
meteor shower and a lot of hills to climb.
I didn’t walked fast, it was steadily a slow pace, especially considered
I was constantly walking upwards.

Eventually morning came and it was beautiful. Both the night and morning reminded why I wanted to do this.
They joy of being able to appreciate to local surroundings!

That joy became however short lived, as when I left home in a hurry I neglected how I wrapped the bindings meaning I strapped on the frame rather than the wagons.
It resulted in one of the wheels key-ring snapping due to the unnecessary tension.
Stressed by this and the hours passing by, not to mention I began to become quite hungry,
I took a break at a farm that was just nearby. Sadly there was nobody home, but I couldn’t be on the small road either. Knowingly I had trespassed, I quickly
fixed the straps and the splinter/keyring, then set up for getting something to eat.

At that very moment, the local tv-news crew, in which I was to meet up
for breakfast at the hostel, showed up. I was taking too long so they decided to meet up.
Instead of eating up, I just packed up, had the interview and then continued to walk.

I suppose that I don’t even need to mention the consequence of walking 10+ hours without a proper meal..
My pace started to slow down even more, morning became noon and I was exhausted. Near the end of the noon,
when I soon arrived at the hostel, I met up with this kind widower who admired my effort to the journey, especially suffering from asthma like his wife had. 

We spoke briefly and I let him help me the last tiny uphill before getting in the tunnel under the highway.
The last 300 m was excruciating to the degree the hostel owner even came to my aid with a     four wheeler and grabbed the sled.
At the hostel I was shown around and to the room I was to stay at.
I was too exhausted to even eat, so I feel asleep fast and profound.

A big thank you to the elder I met at the highway for his kindness and also the hosts at Sikargården in Simonstorp/Norrköping.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.